Retirement living for over 55s: all your questions answered


What would you like to know about Clifton Old Bar?
Here you’ll find answers to all the most commonly asked questions. If you can’t find what you’re after, don’t hesitate to ask us directly via the contact page.

  • What does Clifton Old Bar offer?

    Clifton Old Bar is a brand new, purpose-built, lifestyle resort for active and independent over 55s. The resort offers high quality homes at affordable prices, in a beautiful gated community with superb communal facilities.
    Residents own their own homes without the cost of buying the land, giving you the opportunity to downsize and free up capital. Because you are not buying the land there is no stamp duty on purchase, and there are no complicated entry, exit or deferred management fees. Our resort, near Forster and Port Macquarie on the NSW mid north coast, offers you the opportunity to enjoy a low maintenance lock-up-and-go lifestyle, in beautiful surrounds, amongst a friendly community of like-minded neighbours.

  • How is Clifton Old Bar different from a retirement village?

    In Clifton Old Bar you have the benefit of owning your own home, without the cost of buying the land. You don’t pay any stamp duty, and unlike many retirement villages, there are no entry or exit fees, no deferred management fees, and you keep any capital gains when you sell.

  • Do I own my home?

    Yes, you own your home outright, while you have a secure long term lease over the land that your home is situated on.

  • Do I pay stamp duty when I purchase?

    No. Stamp duty does not apply to purchase of homes in Clifton Old Bar.

  • How secure is my site agreement (my right to stay on the land)?

    Your right to occupy your land is secure and the site agreement is protected by NSW State Government legislation under the Residential (Land Lease) Communities Act 2013. This legislation protects the rights and interests of residents in residential land lease communities such as Clifton Old Bar.

  • Where can I read more about the legislation?

    The Residential (Land Lease) Communities Act 2013 is administered by The Department of Fair Trading.  Additional information explaining the laws can be provided by our office, or alternatively, further details can be obtained directly from the Department of Fair Trading: www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au

  • Do I pay a legal fee when I purchase?

    There is no requirement for you to engage a solicitor, however you are more than welcome to consult one should you choose.

  • Can I sell my home at any time?

    Yes. You are free to sell your home at any time. We can assist you in selling your home or you can appoint an external selling agent.

  • Are there entry, exit or deferred management fees?

    No. There are no entry, exit or deferred management fees. All sale proceeds and capital gains are yours to keep.

  • Do I keep all the proceeds when I sell my home?

    Yes. When you sell your home, all sale proceeds and capital gains are yours to keep. There are no exit or deferred management fees.

  • Can I include my home in my will?

    Yes. Your home is part of your estate’s assets and as such it can be included in your will. Your beneficiaries may reside in the home if they meet the criteria, or they can sell the home at any time and all sale proceeds and capital gains belong to them. There are no hidden costs nor exit fees.

  • What do the Weekly Site Fees cover?

    You pay a weekly site fee which covers rent for your land, use of all resort facilities, and various costs associated with running and maintaining the community. Site fees are payable fortnightly, via direct debit. More information on site fee costs and what they cover can be provided by our sales office.

  • Will the site fees increase?

    The site fees will be adjusted annually according to a formula in each resident’s Residential Site Agreement. More information on site fee increases can be provided by our sales office.

  • Will I be eligible for government rent assistance?

    If you receive a government pension or payments through Centrelink or Veterans Affairs, it is likely that you will be entitled to receive rent assistance, which can in effect help to reduce the site fees that you pay.

    For full information about how rent assistance is determined and calculated see: www.humanservices.gov.au/rentassistance

  • Are there any body corporate fees, council rates or land tax?

    No. As a resident of Clifton Old Bar you do not pay body corporate fees, council rates or land tax.

  • As a resident, what other costs will I be responsible for?

    You are responsible for services to your home such as electricity, water, gas, telecommunications, home and contents insurance, and maintenance of your home.

  • What will happen to my pension?

    Moving to a lifestyle resort can affect your pension entitlement and eligibility for rent assistance. For many people their pension will remain the same and they may become eligible for rent assistance, which they didn’t receive before, to contribute towards weekly site fees. Residents are advised to discuss their particular circumstances with the Department of Human Services or Centrelink. www.humanservices.gov.au

  • Does a guarantee or warranty come with my home?

    Yes, all homes come with a builder’s warranty in respect of structural defects for 6 years and general defects for 4 months.

  • Is there an age requirement to live at Clifton Old Bar and do I need to be retired?

    Clifton Old Bar has been specially designed for an over 55s community, and therefore you must be over the age of 55 to live in our resort (or if a couple, at least one of you must be over 55). You do not need to be retired, the resort welcomes both working and retired over 55s.

  • Are singles welcome?

    Yes, most definitely. Whether you are retired, still working, married or single, you will find a strong sense of community and security with like-minded people at Clifton Old Bar.

  • Can I have visitors such as family and friends stay with me?

    Yes. If a resident has guests staying for more than a week they are required to let us know their names and their intended length of stay.

  • Can I have pets?

    Clifton Old Bar is pet friendly and one pet is permitted in your home. In order to maintain a high quality of amenity for all residents, prior written approval from community management is required for every pet and pet owners are required to sign and comply with Clifton’s Pet Policy.

  • Is there caravan, campervan and boat storage available?

    Yes there is. Please note availability is limited, so please enquire to confirm your spot.

  • What security features does the community have in place?

    Clifton Old Bar is a gated community with entry via an electronically operated gate.

  • Who maintains the gardens?

    The community management maintains all the communal areas, including the grassed area and street trees in front of your home. You are responsible for maintaining your own front, rear and side gardens. Please enquire for a copy of the Community Rules for a more detailed description of maintenance provisions.

  • What happens if the owner/operator of the community sells the community?

    If the operator sells the community, your tenure will still be protected by the Residential (Land Lease) Communities Act 2013.

  • Does Clifton Old Bar provide nursing care?

    No, Clifton Old Bar is an independent living community, and does not provide any care services to residents. However, we do recognise that there may be a time in the future when your circumstances change and you need that little extra assistance to recuperate after an illness or injury, or practical help to keep living independently in your own home.

    With this in mind, Clifton Old Bar has established a partnership with an in-home care provider, Home Nursing Group. This means that you can enjoy exceptional care in the privacy of your own home at Clifton Old Bar, if the need arises in the future. We have selected Home Nursing Group as the preferred provider of home care services to our community, as they share our values and have the depth and breadth of experience to meet any future care needs that you have.

    As the preferred provider of home care services to Clifton Old Bar, Home Nursing Group offers exclusive discounted pricing to residents of the Clifton community.

  • Do I need to use Home Nursing Group for in-home care services, if I am a resident of Clifton Old Bar?

    As a resident of Clifton Old Bar, you can benefit from special discounted pricing if you choose to use Home Nursing Group for any in-home care needs that you have.

    However, this doesn’t mean that you are required to use them – you have complete freedom to use another home care service provider if you wish.


Still have questions?

For more information on Clifton Old Bar, contact our Sales Consultant today

Tracey Davis
1300 081 110

Brand new display homes now open at 119 Forrest Lane, Old Bar.

messenger iconSend us a message via Messenger

Thank you

Thank you for registering your interest with us.

Register your interest

Register here to receive updates about Clifton Old Bar